Sunday, September 10, 2006

Today

Not much to say about today. We don’t have a television yet so we are missing all of the anniversary shows. Although some look interesting, I am glad we aren’t able to watch. The papers carry some news here on the subject but I am guessing not to the same extent as the US. I am still not sure of my emotions on the subject. It has been so interconnected with this most likely ill-advised war or wars, that we sometimes lose track of the enormity of the event itself. Not who did what to whom, whether we should avenge it, who should be punished, the trials, and the hunt. We lost track that nearly 3000 people died and their families are affected in ways we cannot imagine. Dying in such a public way. Their loved ones' last moments of anguish broadcast on the 6:00 news. I don’t think they need the anniversary hoopla to be reminded, I bet they are reminded every day of their lives with ordinary unexpected things like seeing their loved one’s favorite salad dressing in the market. I think back over all of the memories of the last five years I have with my family. Those moments go on. It must be bittersweet, not just graduations and birthdays, Christmases and Hanukahs but the days when a light bulb needs changing, the kids throw up and the paper doesn’t get delivered. The happy moments have a momentum of their own; they carry on. The every day moments must be overwhelming. That is what I think about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I got home last night, Suzy had the ABC special on and I just couldn't watch it. After spending a long weekend with Chizz, I cannot dwell on that nasty day. I had too much fun celebrating friendship with him and the other lunatics that have so deeply shaped my life. It is just too soon, I think, for this country to be objective about 9/11. It all seemed like exploitation to me, and it fuels hate rather what I think we should be doing -- and that is a pragmatic look at the root causes and the constructive approach to addressing them.

wow, did i write that????

Anonymous said...

Well said.