Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Couch Is Too Fat for My House

Several weeks ago, in our furniture buying frenzy, we bought a sofa bed. It is a small sofa bed, only a two seater and we figured the bed could house kids that came to visit or our own children when they were displaced from their rooms. The sofa was to be delivered yesterday. I waited all day yesterday for it to be delivered. It would go in our family room area and all four of us could sit in that room at one time - a simple goal, one I thought attainable until yesterday. The delivery men could not get the sofa up the staircase. It was too wide. Ugh!!!! I personally don't think they tried that hard. Our other sofa was a bit difficult but after 30 minutes of maneuvering, the men were able to get it up the stairs. But these guys tried 2 times, it didn't work so they called it a day. It remains to be see whether I will get all of my money back (the company is calling it a "special order' although fortified with a good nights sleep and a bit of diet coke I think I am ready to tackle that battle today), whether I will end up donating this sofa to charity or whether we will all four be able to sit in our family room someday. As someone said to me very recently, yes indeed this is the glamorous life I envisioned when moving to Europe. This week sofabeds, next week perhaps tea with the Duchess of Cornwall - who knows?

No comments: