Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Still The Cute One

Today I went down to the Starbucks on the high street to have coffee with a friend. I got there first and decided to add some money to my Starbucks gift card. Although Starbucks cards have been around forever in the US, they just started in December here. They are a very new animal and because of that, the young baristas at our Starbucks here are not that experienced dealing with them. I added UK20 to the card and wanted to pay with my debit card. Unfortunately, the checker pushed the cash button instead and hilarity ensued (not really but I am trying to look on the lighter side). Actually angst ensued, no one at the Starbucks knew how to correct this problem even though every single person behind the counter worked on the problem. For about 5 minutes, no coffee was made or served at the fairly busy Starbucks in St. John's Wood. I had no cash on me (c'mon everywhere else in world things are pretty much done on an electronic basis!). Finally I suggested I run to the ATM on the corner and get cash and just pay for card that way. The Starbucks employees were visibily relieved.

So off I went down to the bank. As I walked down the street, guess who I saw walking toward me. PAUL MCCARTNEY!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG! That's right, the one I have been stalking for almost 6 months. Walking right toward me. He was coming out of Panzer's, a local deli/store in the neighborhood. A few weeks ago, I saw a picture of Sir Paul in the local paper, and he looked bad. Well, I thought at the time, I guess this divorce business is really taking a toll on him. I mean how long can you be known as the cute one in the Beatles? He is 64 for goodness sake. Poppycock! He looks pretty darn good. I think he probably colors his hair, but there is a salt and pepper look to it - totally appropriate for his age. But he looks great! He was fit, color good, bounce in his step. It just goes to show you that you shouldn't always believe what you see in the news. That photo was probably taken in bad lighting and at a weird angle because there was no trace of the newspaper guy in the guy I saw walking down the street.

I got my cash and was hoping that he was in the Starbucks but I knew he probably wasn't there. I had heard he has breakfast quite a bit in the place next door. Of course, he wasn't there. I paid for my card and told my friend about my encounter. She was envious.

Now I just have to figure out how to hang out with him, become best friends and get an invite to his birthday party this year. Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.

No comments: