Saturday, February 17, 2007

Overheard on the Tube

We are back from our trip to Rome. Great trip, I will post details and photos later. We take the Tube back and forth from Heathrow, it is economical and only takes about an hour door-to-door. Loads of people do it and the trains can be quite crowded at times. Last night it was a full train but not too crowded. As is usual for me, I like to "people watch" my fellow passengers, try to imagine if they are coming here for a visit, or maybe coming home, where they came from, where they are going etc. I noticed a couple, well it was hard not to notice them, they were kind of hanging all over each other. I think He had just met Her flight at the airport and they were excited to see each other. They weren't kissing but kept touching each other's faces, hair, patting knees. I am guessing they were in their mid to late 30s, and they were really into each other. They were hanging on each others every word. Their faces werethisclose the whole time. Most of the time, I couldn't hear their conversation because the tube can be quite loud with the train noise and people talking back and forth. Snippets of their discussion filtered through, who She saw on her trip, a few details of His important business meeting last week etc. One exchange went something like this:

Her: (Sincerely) I missed you so much.

Him: (Just as sincerely, but gazing deeply into Her eyes) No, I missed you more.

Her: (Vehemently shaking her head) No, it can't be, I missed you more.

Me: For Goodness Sakes. We aren't talking teenagers, these adults should know better. I am momentarily distracted by the two girls who get on the Tube at Hammersmith. Very blond, very cute, very black tights, very high boots, very short skirts, very drunk. They could barely stand up. Except for when their very high heeled boots were stepping on my feet. Ouch. They kept apologizing "Sorry, sorry, sorry" but kept stepping on my feet. Finally they moved over and leaned (barely) against the wall.

Attention back to weird couple. Another sickening display:

Her: (In very British accent) "I was looking all over for the corkscrew. And I simply could not find it anywhere".

Him: (Completely riveted and very serious looking). "Did you ever find it?"

Her: "Oh yes, I was searching through the bottom of the box and there it was!" (Completely elated)

Him: (Incredulously)"No? In the box?" (Eyes wide open to prove he could barely believe it was in the box all along.)

Her: "Then, when I was getting ready to open the bottle, I remembered. . ."

Him/Her: (In Unison) "It was a twistoff!!!"

Him: (Throws his head back and laughs very LOUDLY as if this was the funniest thing he had ever heard)

HER: (Smiles smugly in the knowledge that she was the one who related the funny story that made him laugh ever so loudly.)

They kiss. I am not sure whether it was in celebration of finding the corkscrew, or relief that she didn't need it all to open her cheap bottle of wine or finally lust overcoming them. By this time, the seats open up next to me and the drunk girls stagger their way over to the seats and sit down. Still managing by the way to step on my feet while sitting!!

And Chizz just read his book!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drunk Girl #1: Why does she keep putting her foot under my boot?

Drunk Girl #2: I don't know, but it is rea--what is she staring at?...ohh, aren't they adorable?

Drunk Girl #1: There's a seat next to the American nutter. Let's see if she can manage not to get her big toes in the way as we take our seats.

Wendy said...

Wait a minute. Do the drunk girls have a blog too???