Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What Did You Say?

So this past weekend was prom at Kiki's school. They don't have Prom at English schools. Most of the preparation is fairly similar to that of a prom that might be held in middle America, shopping, shoe buying, tux renting but there are a few twists. For example they serve alcohol at prom. You heard me, I didn't stutter. I have heard a number of reasons as to why that is but the fact is it is perfectly legal for 16 year olds to drink here. Now technically the law is that they can drink only with a meal and when accompanied by someone over 18, but truthfully 16 year olds have no problem being served in any pub with or without a meal (and some bars where food isn't even served). The school will tell you that they have a hard time booking a venue without some alcohol sales. I don't buy that. With a school as well connected as this one, I am sure they have someone in the parent population who has an "in" at a hotel or owns one. I think it is that way because it has always been that way. They limit the amount of alcohol a kid can have to 2 glasses of wine and I understand they are very strict about it but I don't know how it is monitored. That is one reason why they do not allow anyone under 16 to attend prom. No matter what. If you are a junior dating a sophomore who is 15, you cannot bring the 15 year old as your date.

So in the weeks prior to the prom, Kiki & I went shopping for a dress, purse, jewelry (no you can't wear something you already have!!!), hair clips, etc. About 10 days prior to prom we went to a florist in our neighborhood to order the boutonniere for her boyfriend. The florist didn't really seem to know what we were talking about when I said I wanted to order a boutonniere but with a little bit of mimicry and some strange hand motions, she figured it out. She wasn't very helpful when we asked if there were different options or flowers that could be used. So I decided we wouldn't order it there. We went to another shop a bit closer to the school. The woman there knew exactly what I meant when I said boutonniere but she advised me in England they are referred to as "button holes". Ohhhhhhh. She was doing probably about 75% of the flowers being ordered for the prom and she seemed to have it all under control. We ordered and went on our way.

It got me thinking about the number of terms or phrases that are completely different here than in the US and without a clear understanding of the UK meaning, you could be asking for something completely different or really something that doesn't exist at all. Now, we have all heard the obvious/common ones like boot for trunk of car, or fries are called chips here but chips (like Ruffles or Lays) are called crisps. But there are some other ones I have come across that have sent me to the internet or an English friend or two for some translation. If you are invited to a fancy dress party, it is not a reason to rush out to Saks and buy a couture gown. 'Fancy Dress' means costume party. I think that one is especially confusing because I have seen some costumes in my day that were so totally un-fancy. In the UK, public schools are really private. Here a public school means that the general public can attend the school . . . as long as the student can pass the entrance exam and their parents can pay the exorbitant fees usually associated with the school. The UK version of public school is called a state school. In the US, you would get your prescription medicine from a pharmacist, in the UK he/she would be called a chemist. I always imagine my chemist with working in the back room with test tubes, pouring lime green liquid from one tube to the other, leaning back, laughing fiendishly and then coming out with my medication (even if they are pills). It gives me a little shiver.

The grocery store provides unending confusion in this area. I giggle every time I see a package of pre-made cupcakes because here they are called fairy cakes. Biscuits in the US are baked doughy, bread type items. In the UK, generally speaking they are cookies. Although there are some "savory" biscuits which are really crackers. Courgette? Zucchini. Aubergine? Eggplant. Actually I think I like these words for those items better. They sound a little ritzy, don't they? I could take my courgettes and aubergines to my fancy dress party, but I think I should leave my zucchinis and eggplant at home. Good idea?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snake hasn't eaten any of those fairy cakes, has he?
UFS