Wednesday, May 14, 2008

We Are Going for A Record

I think I can finally say "Spring has sprung in London". Now I have to say, I am a little fearful to express that out loud and so boldly but after about a whole week of bee-yoo-tee-ful days here in London, I am feeling a little light headed. Actually my whole body is feeling a bit lighter. I think it is because I haven't been wearing my coat and scarf. So I went out for a walk in the hood and took some photographic evidence of the good weather. I am thinking if it doesn't last I can at least look back at the photos fondly and remember the time there were a few good weather days in a row. The days of no umbrella carrying, ah yes - I remember it well.

This is in the little park near our neighborhood. They always do the nicest flowers here. It just seems like there is something always in bloom. The parks in London are really used by the people, like their own backyards. The weather peeks over 55 and people run out to use them. Picnics, games, reading books, just hanging out. People actually sit in the benches (not sleep on them).



See the little green building in the background? These buildings were built between 1875 and 1914. They are little taxi relief stations. They were provided so that taxi drivers, (at the time horse & buggies) could safely get some food and rest during their shifts. Obviously they didn't want the drivers to stop in at pubs because the temptation to drink might be too much so they created these little stands all over the city. At one point there were over 60 or so. A driver could stop in, get something to eat, get out of the cold or rain, and take a load off for a while safely. They were only open for taxi drivers and the general public was not allowed to use them. There are still a few around today and they are considered historical landmarks. Taxi drivers still hang out at the ones remaining and some are open to the general public for a sandwhich or snack. This one is not very far from our house and I don't think I have ever gone by it when there hasn't been a cab there.

But I must warn you. I did something rash. I took the blankets off the bed. I know, I know. You are probably thinking "Wendy!!! Wait! Are you sure you're ready? It's risky, daring, throwing caution to the wind." True, true, all true. But I am a rebel, a risk taker if you will. I mean it snowed here just a month ago, but I am feeling ready. There comes a time in your life when you are ready to take it to the next level, or in my case take it off to the next level. So I took off the heavy blanket. Then feeling a little giddy, - I went all the way. . . . I took off the electric blanket, unhooked the plugs from the wall and put it in the closet. I must admit I liked it. I think I need more, another fix. Maybe I will take off the flannel sheets next. No WAIT! What they say is true, removing the blankets are the gateway linens! Before you know it I will be putting away the comforter. I have to resist. . . . I think I will take it one day at a time, one day at a time. Give me the strength.

No comments: