Monday, May 05, 2008

Jersey Girls

Last night Kiki & I went to see Jersey Boys. It is a play about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - how they came together as a group, their story, rags to riches and all the pitfalls along the way. What can I say? It was fantastic. Kiki wasn't sure that she would know a lot of the music and somehow my singing in the kitchen of my repertoire of Four Seasons standards didn't help and didn't inspire her to want to see the show. But she had heard from some friends that it was good so we went.

I like how the story is told from the perspective of all four of the original members. So many times when you hear the story of the group, it is usually the story of the one breakout member . It was interesting to hear how the dynamics of the group and the things that were happening to them affected all of the members. And the music. Did you know one of the founding members had a hit before the Four Seasons with a song called "Short Shorts"? Yes, the Nair song. I hadn't realized that was a real song, not just a commercial jingle. My bad. Kiki didn't realize how many of the songs she did know. I was surprised to find out how many generations the Four Seasons actually covered. Kiki was a little "creeped out" when the older generation at the theatre got up and danced during the final number.

It was a hand clapping, toe tapping, old people dancing kind of an evening. Two thumbs up from Kiki & Wendy.

1 comment:

Expat mum said...

Hi - I have to agree. I took my mum to see it when she came over to Chicago a few weeks ago and it was bloody brilliant. I have been humming the songs ever since.