Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lavenham


Lavenham is a beautiful little medieval village. It puts the Q in quaint. Full of the half-timbered type of houses. Some of the houses look like they are taking a rest, leaning back. You almost want to tip-toe by them, lest you knock them over by walking by too heavily. It sounds very cliche, but you seem to have walked into a town that time has forgotten. We walked by this house that had the milk on the stoop from the delivery by the milkman earlier that morning. Although milkman have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur in the US, there are still many places in England where you can get milk delivered right to your doorstep the old fashioned way - London included. I don't think you would want that in some big cities in the States. I for one know that I wouldn't drink any milk left on my doorstep in New York. For sure.

Lavenham also has a beautiful church. I never pass up peeking in a church or cathedral if I can help it and I have dragged taken my family through many beautiful churches during our European adventures. I must say the church of St. Peter and Paul is gorgeous. 15th Century folks, pretty impressive huh? The inside is even more beautiful. I could look at that ceiling for hours, I almost did - my neck felt funny for the rest of the day. If you look closely at the seats, you will notice blue cushions on them. These were hand crocheted by various members of the congregation for an anniversary project. They are all scenes of local businesses, homes, points of interest. When you think about the time and effort put into all of these cushions, I believe over 500 of them and I couldn't find a duplicate, it embodies to me what community is all about. Truly a labor of love.


We stopped at the local pub (of course) for a snack and a quick game of darts. Chizz & Snake are still learning the game but they are getting better. This time only a few of the dart didn't make the board and hardly anyone was hurt! Good times.

One last claim to fame for Lavenham, a reference you are all surely to know. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star was based on a poem by a Lavenham woman. Did you know that song has 5 verses!! We can heartily recommend a trip to Lavenham, a real gem. . . sort of like a diamond . . . . in the sky!! Okay, Okay.

No comments: