Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Solidarity for the Workers; Stick it to the Man!


Nine of the twelve tube lines are closed today. One of the unions that is responsible for the maintenance of those nine lines has called a three day strike. Talks are ongoing. The walkout is scheduled to be over tomorrow afternoon but they have tentatively called another 3 day walkout starting next Monday. That is what I like about the British, there is no surprise here. They have politely called for a strike for 3 days only. If the talks are fruitful, they will go back to work but they are warning us, another strike on Monday for 3 more days. I am not sure what happens if things aren't resolved. Perhaps a 4 days strike, to be called let's say two weeks from next Tuesday? How does that work for everyone?

Not to say that this strike hasn't been disruptive. Millions (yes, millions) of commuters take the tube to work each day. So people that normally would have say a 45 minute commute, have somewhere near a 2 1/2 hour commute. For some, it is almost impossible to complete their journeys.

So I have been sticking closer to home these days, waiting for the strike to be over so I can do the things I have been putting off. Including updating WTF with the things we did over the weekend. But really I don't think I can blame public transport for my failure to sit down at the computer and dash something off. UNLESS, I point out how I am all about supporting the workers in their fight against the oppressive manipulations of the MAN. Yeah, that's right. That's why I am not doing it.

Wait a minute. For WTF, I am the Man. Well, that's okay. Sometimes I am oppressive and manipulative (don't start!), just usually not with myself. But I don't think I am going to tolerate this 3 days on 3 days off striking thing. I may just lock myself out. Hey, it worked for the Air Traffic Controllers!

No comments: