Friday, September 21, 2007

Papa's Got a Brand New Bag

My parents are visiting us this week. They are on their way back from a Baltic cruise, where they visited Russia, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, and Estonia. They also managed a quick trip to Dover Castle on their way to the boat. They managed to see quite a bit and their pictures are beautiful.

So for the next 10 days they are going to do some British stuff
with us. On theday they arrived, we didn't do much just caught up and talked. Sunday afternoon we took them to Speaker's Corner. I have talked about Speaker's Corner before but in review, Speaker's Corner is a section of Hyde Park where on Sundays anyone get up and speak on any topic they choose. Often the speakers are religious wackos.
A lot of the speakers talk about the war and the US, not in particularly flattering terms. Sometimes I find the speakers humourous, especially when I don't think the humour (UK spelling!) is their intent. I embarassed Kiki by going up and getting a free hug from a group giving them away. Gramma embarassed Kiki by taking a picture of me getting my free hug. It was good today because the speakers weren't all religious wackos although there were a few of those as well.

Chizz was disgusted that Papa and Gramma spent the first 12 hours here on Saturday without going to a pub so he corrected that on Sunday. We went to 3 pubs. With Gramma and Papa. Gramma is not much of a beer drinker, so she had a gin and tonic and some wine. Papa had a beer (or two) at each pub. Damn straight.

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching cricket on the television. Right now they have a tournament going on called the 20/20. It is too difficult to really explain, although I think I have a better understanding of cricket now after watching these games on TV then I did when we went to Lords a few weeks ago. Papa really took to cricket and seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly. I am not sure if that is because he is sports minded or if it was the beer. Either way, I think he is going to petition ESPN to carry cricket games regularly back in the States. Great that is just what Gramma needs, one more sport for Papa to watch on TV. Sorry.



No comments: