Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Perhaps a Little Bit Too Much Information?

The other day I was scrambling up some eggs. I used all the eggs in one carton and reached for another batch of eggs. While waiting for the eggs to cook, I noticed the cartons were two different colors and since I knew both cartons were bought at the same store, I examined it more closely to find out the difference. Can you see it?







Since when do we as a society want this much information about the habits of our food? I am not sure that I care that much what the chicken that laid my egg did in the hours prior to laying the egg and what level of freedom she had. Cages in barns, no cages in barns, roaming the countryside, scoring heroin in an alley. Okay maybe I do want to know if I am eating the egg of a drug addict chicken. But other than that kind of info, which I have yet to see on the egg carton, I don't really want to think about how my food (or in this case - its carrier) spends its day. Do you want to know what the cow that provided the hamburger for your bacon double cheeseburger did all day and should it be on the label? "Spent days in crowded enclosure, like cattle, walking in own feces, mooing, eating grass, until led up plank to the butchering table - ". Get the picture? I just don't see how this is useful information.

Although maybe this is the tactic those foie gras activists should have taken a few years ago. Perhaps if it is put right on the label how foie gras is made and how the goose or duck spends its last days, it might gross some people out. But probably not the people that buy foie gras, just their chef or maid. And that is not the market the activist are targeting. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The idea of this type of labelling was to get people to not buy eggs produced by battery chickens. Although cheaper, the birds were considered to be kept inhumanely and disease and disfiguration was commonplace. The hope is that battery farming will gradually die out in favour of more humane farming methods, as result of consumer demand, rather than legislation. Barn and Free Range eggs are supposed to taste better as well. The latter being best of all.