Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This Is So Not What St. Patrick Had in Mind

When Chizz and I were first married and kidless, we really looked forward to St. Patrick's Day. The city in which we worked did it up in a big way, parades, dinners, beer specials etc. It seemed like one big party. Perhaps because it was. A bar very close to where we worked arranged to have the entire street it was on blocked off and set up outdoor bars. People would start coming to the outside bar sometime after lunch. Quite truthfully, many people would just "forget" to come back to work. Even more truthfully, sometimes those people included Chizz & me. It was a fun time, a bit reckless I am sure but all in all a good time. Those were the days.

Fast forward 25+ years and this is what I did today before I put my corned beef on. Snake left some very explicit instructions by email. And with a little editing to protect his (and quite frankly my) identity, here is his email:


RE: Operation Iron Snake

Red Mongoose, you have been chosen for a most deadly mission, if you are caught or killed, we will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

1. go here about 5 minutes before 10: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1C00446BC8A851B7?artistid=735341&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200

2. @10 SHARP: I am unsure what the screen will look like during this stage, as it is a presale, but I expect there to be a little box that says Fan Club Presale or something like that, and enter this code exactly: 12345 (I changed this code because I don't want to incur the wrath of the Iron Maiden fan club by giving out the special fan club code) .

3. Select general admission, General admission, nothing else. DO NOT,I REPEAT DO NOT SELECT BEST AVAILABLE, every second counts. As of right now, we are only buying one ticket.

4. Enter the security code

5. Now we have two possibilities.
A: There's a tickets cannot be found thing, we're too late. :( In this instance, start over and try and get another GA seat. If you get the same message, choose best available. 100s are the ones we're looking for, but I'll take 200s if I have to. If those are gone, somethings up email me.

B: Awesome, we got tickets. Now, I know you're excited, but we still have a few more steps. The ticketing system is paperless, so there shouldn't be a shipping option. If there is a shipping option, just select the cheapest one.

6. Log in or create an account. You should at least have an account from last time. Use the two cards that I gave you. Mind the timer on the page, that's how long until you lose the tickets. If you don't see a timer, don't dwell on it.

7. Fill out the number and the pin of the two cards. I'm going to write down the numbers and pins and bring them to school if this doesn't work out.

8. Finalize the order.

9. Email me, regardless of outcome.

10. Run down the street screaming "HOOOOORRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY"

11. Call the school, tell them that Snake can leave school due to a family event.

12. We party. Until June 20th.


Snake


PS: All steps are mandatory. for reals.

P.S.S: Sorry for talking to you like you're three

P.S.S.S: Do P.S.S.Ss exist?

P.S.S.S.S: I guess they have to now...



Okay this is Wendy again. You think with all of those instructions, it would have all gone swimmingly. You'd think. Well, not exactly. I got all the way up to step 5, picking the general admission ticket which he points out about 4 times, it needs to be general admission. I purchased the general admission ticket and was very pleased with myself. Actually I used Snake's gift cards and the ticket wasn't too expensive. I texted him "Transaction complete, one general admission lawn seat is purchased". Then I called Chizz to crow about my success, when I received this text from Snake:

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!"

Then it dawned on me. If you know Snake you know that the reason he likes the general admission seats is that in clubs these tickets usually are standing tickets and it allows to you to finagle your way to the front of the crowd and be up close and personal to the band. And if you have seen Iron Maiden, you know you want to be up close and personal to them. But this particular venue is outdoors and the general admission seats are actually on the lawn, which is in the back of the venue and there is virtually no chance you can wiggle up to the front. They keep a tight rein on those seats. So Snake apparently didn't remember that part or if he did, thought for some unknown reason, I would remember that he wouldn't want a general admission lawn seat. So I had to hustle back on the site and buy another ticket. We are still unclear as to whether he actually has a seat or if he will be standing because the ticket doesn't really indicate a seat (which is good). Of course we were successful and now we have two tickets to the Iron Maiden concert.

So if you happen to be at the Sleep Train Pavillion on Sunday June 20, come find me in the back lawn. I will be the well over 40 year old Mom in the fold out chair (because sitting on the lawn will probably hurt my back), with my earplugs in and doing the Sudoku. What???? You thought I would waste the ticket? Nooooooooo!!

No comments: