Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mom Down, Repeat, MOM DOWN

Kiki came home for Spring Break this past week. It was great seeing her. Although it has only been 2 months since I have seen her, it seems like she has grown up so much. She also bought TB (The Boyfriend). He is very sweet and a little quiet, although I recognize spending a few days at your girlfriend's house might be a tad intimidating! TB is from Louisiana but just to show how truly small the world really is, he has relatives that live in our small town. Weird huh? He and Kiki live in the same dorm at UCLA. She spent the few days here showing him all the highlights of our town, which all seemed to revolve around food. The best burrito place, the best yogurt place, the best cupcake place and her favorite sandwhich place that she went to every Wednesday while she was in high school. Sadly, those are pretty much the highlights of our town. They also took a little day trip into SF and spent some time with some of Kiki's friends that are also on break this week.

So I took them to the airport yesterday, and it was a little sad, although she will be back in just 5 days for Easter! Before you ask, she has to go back, classes start Monday. Or, actually for Kiki, on Tuesday as she has managed the elusive "No Classes on Mondays or Fridays" schedule this quarter. It's true, it does exist. Not just a myth.

The airport wasn't too crowded, it was still early in the afternoon. I saw a few kids obviously going back to school, you could tell by the sad looks on the parents faces. I got out of the car and was waiting for Kiki to get out of the driver's side passenger door, and a woman in a station wagon hit me. Me, not my car. I was so stunned. I was standing by the door, sort of behind Kiki's open door and this car just merged over and hit me. I think the passenger side mirror hit my arm, it knocked me off balance and I fell to the street. Before I knew what happened, she ran over both of my feet! It all happened in a matter of seconds. I am not sure if she knew she hit me, although the sound of me hitting her car was rather loud. A sheriff hurried over. I asked him if he saw her hit me and he confirmed he did. I was a little stunned and felt more embarrassed than anything else. I was worried that she might be drunk so I asked him to talk with her. Apparently she wasn't drunk and I told him I didn't think I was interested in filing a report. In retrospect, I probably should have. I think I am fine, I have a nasty bump on my forearm (where I think the mirror hit me), an abrasion on my left foot, a bruised toe on my right foot, a scrap on my right ankle and I am slightly sore in most of those places. But I will survive. I remember thinking at the time, why didn't she stop? Couldn't she hear me? But I think probably it was better she didn't stop, a 2 ton station wagon on my feet probably wouldn't have done me any good!

So all in all, TB had a more eventful airport ride then hanging around our house for the week. Oh wait, I forgot about going to the best gas station in town. Never mind.

No comments: