Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Retraction # 1 (Surprised there has only been one??)

I want to take the opportunity to correct something I said in my earlier post about our visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to visit their most recent great white shark baby. I had mentioned that we had tried a few times before to go and see sharks that had been on exhibit at the aquarium. But each time we have made plans to go, they release the shark back into the wild or it dies.

I was wrong about the dying part. I received a very nice comment from Mr. Humberto Kam, the Onlines Communications Manager of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. He points out that none of the sharks that they had on view had died while they were at the Aquarium. In fact the Monterey Bay Aquarium released the sharks back into the wild for their own benefit and apparently very successfully. To be truthful, I knew some of them had been released but I thought I had heard that one that was pretty sick hadn't made it but I apparently was wrong, very wrong.

So I stand corrected. Now those of you that know me well, know I don't admit I am wrong very often. Mostly because it rarely happens and on the slight chance I might be, I don't like to establish a precedent. But because I admire the Monterey Bay Aquarium so much, I decided I should print a retraction. I decided against just correcting the post because I am not really sure what happens in cyber-space once something gets out there. I thought I better put something out there to counterbalance my misinformation. Sort of a Ying-Yang thing, now the universe is balanced.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the correction, Wendy. White sharks, like many other species of sharks, are in decline due to fishing practices. They need better management and protections to thrive. Perhaps 100 million sharks now die every year as bycatch globally. We're pretty careful about the health of the animals in our care, and losing a white shark would be a major event for us. Fortunately, we haven't yet. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Humberto said...

Thank you for taking the time to write this retraction... and risking setting a precedent. We look forward to seeing you again at the Aquarium.

Humberto