Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Goodnight (and that is what I mean)!

One thing that I love and hate about London at the same time, is its ability to not get caught up in all the politically correct mumbo jumbo that seems to permeate our society right now. Sometimes I am appalled at some of the op-ed pieces I read in the newspapers that I feel are obtuse and hateful. But other times, it is refreshing to hear someone speak exactly what they mean. It is especially notable at the holiday season. No one here is afraid to say “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Christmas”. The shopkeepers, pub workers, policemen, will all greet you with a “Merry Christmas”. I haven’t heard Happy Holidays once!

In the United States we have all gotten so afraid of offending the other person that it has reached the ridiculous when it comes to the Holidays. Christian politicians cannot say Merry Christmas or send a greeting card with the nativity scene on it without being told they are “offending” their constituents that aren’t Christians. The Seattle Airport took down all of its Christmas trees display when a rabbi complained. They were afraid to be involved in a lengthy, costly lawsuit. For what? First of all, I don’t think a Christmas tree has a particularly religious connotation any more than Santa Claus does. I don’t recall hearing that either one of them was at the manger. Secondly, so what? Let’s stop keeping score. Two Christmas trees? Need two menorahs!! Or Two Kinaras? Put up a few menorahs if you want or don’t. Apparently when we say Merry Christmas we are really saying “Merry-Christmas-my-religion-and-beliefs-are-more-important-than-yours-you-should-feel-belittled-and-less-of-person-I-am-better-than-you”. I couldn't find a card that expressed that sentiment here (but remember I had trouble finding any kind of appropriate holiday card here). Why can’t people just send a card that expresses their personal joy at this holiday season and have the recipient not feel slighted, offended or a little piqued? Can I get a Happy Hanukkah card from one of my Jewish friends without having to feel that there is some hidden meaning in the card? Why must we use the bland “Happy Holidays” one size fits all greeting this time of year? I wouldn't feel offended if I went somewhere and someone answered my Merry Christmas with a “and a Happy Hanukkah” or a “Happy Kwanza” to you. I think that is the beauty of living in this time, we are exposed to so many different cultures, religions and ideas. Don’t we have enough to worry about right now without worrying what someone is saying when they wish you a “Merry Christmas”? Can't it just mean “Merry Christmas”?

So here, Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you have a great time whatever holiday you celebrate. I personally celebrate Christmas, so that is why I use that greeting. Happy Christmas, Happy Christmas, Happy Christmas!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the things i learn here. Now I know what a kinara is (thanks to the all-knowing at Wikipedia.)

However Wendy, I suggest you look at your sign-off at your earlier post. "Happy Holidays" indeed! Humbug!

I must confess however that I am a fan of this most wishy-washy of seasonal greetings. It shows us that there are indeed many different holidays with which to exult in. (and for once I just might stay out of trouble when utilizing it.)

Now if I can just find a CD of Shroeder playing xmas hits with one finger on the toy piano... THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!

Wendy said...

I knew someone would catch that, and I had a suspicion it would be you Marky! Congrats! If you really mean Happy Holidays then by all means use it. What I object to is the idea that we must use this watered down version of a greeting of the season so not to "offend" some thin-skinned, over-sensitive, bored muck-raker who has nothing better to do with their time than to invent problems. Or to start a blog.