Tuesday, August 29, 2006

We are Here!!

Our travel from the US was pretty uneventful. Auntie K drove us to the airport on the big day (thanks Auntie K!) and screeched away from the curb, anxious to be rid of us. Actually there were a few wet eyes as we said goodbye. Chizz kept saying it is only "see you later" not "goodbye", which of course is really true but it felt like goodbye just the same. Since we were unsure how long it would take us to get through what was promised to be hours of security, we left the East Bay with just over 4 hours until our flight. Given the recent terrorist hubbub for flights between the US and London, I had made quite a few inquiries with the airline to find out how long it would take to get through security, could we bring Ipods and laptops and books, etc. The airline assured us we could bring all of those items but also assured us we would grow old in the line waiting to get through security. We arrived at the airport with about 3 1/2 hours to spare, ready to take on the security line. Nothing, Nada, Nil, No Line!!! We whizzed through there in about 3 minutes, 4 if you count the time it took to put our shoes back on. Of course, not to say that we didn't have some drama. They picked Snake's backpack out of the group and asked whose it was. We thought, oh just a random check, it will be quick as he only has a few personal items and his Ipod. They went through his bag fairly carefully and it became apparent they were looking for something. What?? Finally they found the contraband! When I reminded Snake that very morning to not forget his toothbrush when he had finished with it, he also packed his toothpaste. This is still on the verbotten list. You will be happy to know the skies are protected from the likes of Aquafresh kids bubblegum mint toothpaste and rightly so!!

What to do? What to do? What to do? Normally I would do some serious damage at duty free but no one could tell me whether I would be able to retrieve my purchases on the flight. I wanted to buy some perfume and liquid make up but since currently those items are not permitted in hand luggage, we thought it would better to skip it. It would definitely be more painful to pay for items and have to leave them at the gate then not get them at all. Anyway, Chizz is flying to New Mexico in Sept. to meet up with his college friends for a few days (filled with art galleries, museums and native american art I am sure) and he promised to make the purchases for me.

We spent sometime in the airline lounge before we left. Kiki was able to IM her friends up to the very moment we boarded the flight so she was happy. The very first Monday night football game was on TV, so Snake & Chizz were happy. And by mistake, they gave us drink coupons for 3 adults - so I was happy!! The flight itself was fine. We were able to get upgraded to business class which was quite exciting for the kids. We had three seats in one row, where Chizz, Snake and I sat and Kiki sat in the row in front of us, for some reason pretending she was on the flight alone. Snake slept the entire flight. He hadn't felt well in the morning which he had attributed to being a bit nervous about our adventure but I think he must have been sick. I felt sorry for him, as I don't think he ate a bite or watched any of the movies, he just slept for about 10 hours. I was half tempted to ask the flight attendant to move him to coach and credit us back half our miles. (Well really 3/4 tempted) Not to worry, Chizz & I drank our way across the pond so we attempted to cut our losses.

We were pretty tired when we got to the flat so we stayed around the neighborhood that night. I will write more on the flat later but I do like it. It does not have a level floor, wall, or window in the place but I kind of like that. It adds to the charm. The building was built in at least 1800 or maybe a bit earlier so I think it has held up remarkably well. It is pretty empty without furniture but hopefully will be full before we know it.

So far London is great and I have to pinch myself all the time because I can't believe I live here. Ouch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snake? Snake? -- He's got to be the cutest, sweetest, most kissable snake I know!!

Wendy said...

Thanks! I think so too. It was either that or Spike (my favorite) but I let him choose.