Thursday, February 25, 2010

Metal Mom

I am fairly certain I was the oldest person waiting this morning for the Ticketmaster clock to strike 10:00 a.m. for a particular show. That was the magic hour for the Mastodon concert tickets to go on pre-sale. Since Snake was a bit uncertain as to what his internet capabilities would be in Peru, he buttered me up for several days so that I might do exactly what I did. Waiting for the clock to tick down so I could snag a high coveted General Admission, Floor, Standing Room ticket??? What? He doesn't even want to sit down and enjoy the melodic sounds of "Aqua Dementia" or "Blood and Thunder" waft over him? Nooooooooooo! It is way more fun to be on the floor and thrash around and be involved in the music. Snake loves getting as close to the bands as he can. That way he can snag a drum stick or set list when the band throws them into the crowd.

My mom used to do something similar for us when we were growing up. She would call up radio stations while we were at school and try to win tickets or free albums for us for whatever group was coming to town next - Loverboy, Heart, Debbie Gibson. The worst was when she won, she would have to go on the air with the DJ and say something like "96.1 plays the coolest music" or scream like she was 15 years old. But she would do it. All for the free stuff.

So Snake will see Mastodon in the Spring. Perhaps while he is at the concert, I will sit back and listen to my favorite Mastodon song "Cut you with a Linoleum Knife", their thinly disguised rant against people who talk during movies. Just trying to make the world better, one song at a time.

No comments: